Infiltrator is a creative sound-shaping tool for use in the studio and on stage, essentially based around two banks of powerful filters. It was principally designed as a powerful vocoder, but has evolved into something much more and is capable of working as a wide range of filtering FX and tools.
The principal purpose of Infiltrator is for vocoding using channel filter banks, as in the classical analogue vocoders. The 'Vocoder Mode' allows the emulation of nearly every kind of classic vocoder architecture, as well as the creation of brand new vocoder sounds. In addition to the traditional Synthesis and Analysis filter banks, there is a silence/voiced/unvoiced detector, a noise generator and a built-in synthesizer with twin oscillators for creating carrier signals and waveforms internally. There are also delay FX available on the inputs and outputs for all sorts of echo-based treatments.
This next generation hardware vocoding system has no parallel on the market. but this is not all: as well as a 'Vocoder Mode', it can operate in four slightly different 'EQ Modes' to create things like:
- Highly accurate stereo equalizers with up to 24 bands depending on configuration
- DJ-type performance filters for realtime sound shaping
- Stereo spectral analysis meters
- Complex time-based filtering FX such as wah-wahs, sweeping phase patterns, comb filtering and more
- Stereo multiband resonators and filtered ring modulators (ring mod is available on the inputs)
- A simple mono synth (the vocoders internal Carrier) with monster filterbank FX on top!
- All of the above with multiple delay FX and echoes, including monster warping FX
The third and most straightforward mode is 'Multiband Mode'. In Multiband Mode Infiltrator reorders the processors to provide a flexible 5 band stereo (or dual mono) multiband compressor/expander and gate, for possible use in dynamics FX processing and mastering situations. It can also be used for unconventional creative use, and to this end we have put a delay FX on each band of the Multiband set-up (instead of the inputs and outputs), so that you can create highly unusual filtering/compression/echo effects that operate on different frequency bands simultaneously. As we said, this one's a real monster...
It was designed by a third party DSP expert from Norway, Are Leistad. To read more about him and his work, click here.
Infiltrator V1.02 ;-
The Infiltrator User guide (V1.0) is available seperatly.
- Highly detailed control with physical units - e.g. 0.00001 seconds
- Two 24 channel filterbanks with up to 2/4/6/8 pole, with 11 filter types, including Peaking /shelving EQs, bandpass, notch, LP, HP and more
- Re-configurable architecture to create filter channels, EQs, multiband compressors, vocoders
- Multiple compressors/expanders/gates with lookahead
- Sophisticated silence/voiced/unvoiced detector
- Built-in MIDI monphonic synthesiser with twin oscillators and noise generator
- Ring modulation and FM synthesis features
- 8 sets of 3 assignable real time controllers for instant control
- Realtime control of all filterbanks for unheard-of Vocoding FX
- 3 LFOs for controlling the realtime controls to create fantastic automatic manipulation settings
- Quick/full edit modes - different editing levels for speed and simplicity or deep control
- Extensive metering and monitoring of internal signals
- Internal storage of 99 user programs, with over 55 factory setups.
- Dynamic allocation of DSP resources, allowing different configurations to utilize the hardware fully
- Delay FX on the inputs, outputs, or internally in multiband mode for highly unusual frequency dependent delay FX
- Very extensive 150-page manual for getting inside the highly detailed soundskin
- Various minor user interface and internal improvements
- Delay line maximum times extended to 5 seconds
- Added dedicated delay line time parameter smooting: page "Delays:Setup, smoothig: off,1..15"
- Added Real Time Controller (RTC) target parameters, amongst them are Multiband filter x-over lo/hi frequencies
- Improved Multiband filters
- Added Linkwitz Reilly filters in Multiband mode: page "Setup:Common, MB slope: 12db,24dB" 12dB = Butterworth, 24dB = Linkwitz Reilly
- Added noise input in Multiband mode: page "Input:Left/Right, noise: NdB"
The following sound samples demonstrate some of the capabilities of Infiltrator. These clips were recorded straight from the output of the Chameleon into a computer for compressing to mp3 format. Often the realtime controls on the front panel of the Chameleon were used to shape the sound during the take.
- Funk Vocoder (491Kb, .MP3)
Classic funky nonsense using a microphone and the internal synth.
- Tekoid Vox (272Kb, .MP3)
Delay based warping FX that uses the LFOs to control the delay feedback and dry/wet amount while using a ring modulator to mess with the sound.
- Vocoder RTC (315Kb, .MP3)
Vocoder being played by MIDI while the analysis bank has its pitch altered in realtime from the front panel.
- RobotVoxRTC (421Kb, .MP3)
Robot voice type vocoder setting with the Realtime Controllers changing the filterbank pitches on-the-fly. This is the only full channel hardware vocoder around that can do this!
- WhisperRTC (123Kb, .MP3)
Vocoder FX using a noise source as the carrier. The filter pitches are being altered in real time from the front panel.
- Sine Lead (628Kb, .MP3)
Sinewave-based lead synth with light compression and washing delays...
- MB Drums (315Kb, .MP3)
Multiband compression being brought in and out using the bypass button.
- xBassSynth (315Kb, .MP3)
Fat basslines from this complex sound that uses three LFOs to add tremendous life to the synths parameters.
- DJ Filter (271Kb, .MP3)
Stereo track going through a 4-pole lowpass filter. This is using one band. Infiltrator can use up to 48 bands if you wish for filtering madness.